OASFAA Executive Meeting

Great Lakes Higher Education Corp., Columbus, OH

April 22, 200410am

 

 

 


Amy Baker*

Mark Bandre’

Norm Bedford

Katie Bontrager*

David Bowan

John Brown

Diane Burnham

Paul Calme*

Leigh Cameron*

Beth Casper*
Don Chenelle*

Mike Clouse

Cindy Delbridge*

Steve England

Mary Kay Freshour

Cindy Hahn*

Tally Hart*

A’Lisa Hatfield*

Lee Harrell*

Shane Hollett*

Gail Houtz*

Kathy Kelly*

Kathy John*

Angela Johnson

Betsy Johnson

Michael Jones*

Scott Lehman*

Lawrence Matthews*

Tasha McDaniel*

James McDougal*

Lisa Mitchell*

Alex Murdoch*

Melony Ohalek*

Mary Lynn Perri

Faith Phillips

Marnie Roberts*

Tom Rudd*

Wendell Schick

Michiale Schneider*

Charles Shahid*

Rebecca Shinaberry

Matt Short*

Stephanie Sutton*

Randy Ulses*

Michele Wade

Mickie Waterman*

Claudia Wenzel

Cheryl Willard

 

Guest:

 

 

*Absent

 


 

 

I. Introductions/Announcements                                                      Wendell A. Schick

 

                Wendell introduced Dave Bowman as the GLHEC liaison to the Executive Committee.

               

II. Secretary’s Report                                                                         Angela Johnson

 

Mary Kay Freshour moved and Mike Clouse seconded to approve the minutes of the March 4, 2004 regular meeting.  Motion was passed  unanimously.        

 

                                Discussion:  None

 

                                               

III. Treasurer’s Report                                                                      Amy Baker

 

                Faith moved and Claudia seconded to approve the treasurer’s report.

               

Discussion:  Mark has indicated that for 2004-2005 all exec members will have query access to QuickBooks in order to review the budget.  Betsy as the Treasurer-Elect and Faith as Treasurer will have update access for 2004-2005.  

 

Wendell asked that committees update expenses as soon as possible so that we may close the books for the year.

               

IV. Regional Representatives Reports

 

A.)    Northeast                                                                      Diane Burnham

 

Summary of activities:  On March 12th. 2004 I had my first Regional meeting at John Carroll University.  It was a great meeting with positive feed back from the 26 members of OASFAA that attended.  Cleveland Financial Group started the morning session with valuable information that we all could use in our personal and professional lives. Education planning was the focus and moved into personal savings growth. Savings plans such as Education savings bonds, savings accounts IRA’s, and qualified tuition programs.  We discussed tax deductions, income exclusions and savings plans.  Jeff Johnston from Bank One was the sponsor and he did a wonderful presentation on adult and continuing education. He covered talking about money with young adults, good debt/bad debt and alternative loans.  Lois Lott finished the afternoon session with the needs of non-traditional students and how to communication with them.

 

April 15, 2004 was the last regional meeting for the 03-04 year and it was held at Ohio Technical College. 36 members attended the morning and afternoon sessions. Norm Bedford from Bowling Green provided valuable information as well as handouts in reference to consortium agreements.  Charles Shahid from the Ohio Board of Regents gave an update on funding for State Grant and Scholarship programs.

 

I gave an introduction to Carmen Sears as our 04-05 NE Regional Representative, and reminded everyone to register for the Spring conference and  book their rooms.   

   

 

Activities planned but not yet completed: Meeting with Carmen to pass on ideas and suggestions that I have received for future 04-05 meetings.

 

Discussion:  Michele asked about a cumulative list for all 529 Plans and Prepaid Tuition Accounts to which  financial aid professionals might have access.  Mark indicated that such is available on the NASFAA web site.

 

B.)     Northwest                                                                     Mike Clouse

               

Ø       All 5 Regional Workshops will be complete.

Ø       Preparing for NW Regional session at Spring Conference and getting NW door prize

 

                Recommended discussion items for the Executive Committee:

 

Ø       After discussion of NSLDS issues at the March 11th regional meeting, it was suggested that we look into approaching the Dept. of Ed for Administrative Relief in regards to interpretation of NSLDS data for Federal Student Loan eligibility issues created by loan consolidation.                                         

 

Update:

The last meeting was held on April 16 in which twelve members attended.  Ohio Board of Regents and Michiale Schneider gave a presentations.

 

Discussion:

Mike mentioned that Greg Guzman asked to bring for discussion the possibility to request administrative relief for the NSLDS complications.  Wendell indicated that perhaps Meteor may help to alleviate some of the complications in June.   Mark indicated that this topic may well wind up being a reauthorization correction and that ED is definitely aware of the problems.

 

C.)     Southeast                                                                      Cindy Hahn

No Report

 

 

D.)    Southwest                                                                     Kathy Kelly          

The SE Regional Meeting in March had eight members in attendance.  The Greater Cincinnati Access Network (GCAN) group was prepared to present at the meeting.  However, due to low attendance a round table discussion was held to discuss what GCAN does for students.   

 

The April 15 meeting was held at Antioch.  Twenty members attended.  The topic was a discussion on Business Office and Financial Aid connection and working cooperatively within the regulations in the best interest of students.

 

Discussion: Wendell thanked all the regional reps for all their hard work this year in bringing members together.  He also stated that the regional reps are the heart of soul of the association.

 

V. Executive Committee Reports

 

A.)    VP for Training                                                             Claudia Wenzel

 

1.)      Support Professional Committee                       Becky Shinaberry & Kathy John

The committee is waiting to hear back from members about nominations for the Support Professional of the Year.  Becky and Kathy will notify nominators by May 7 in order to allow them time to work out the process of having the nominee present at conference.

 

Discussion:  Wendell indicated that the committee has done a great job in getting nominations for the Support Professional of the Year.

 

 

 

 

2.)      Need Analysis                                                      Scott Lehman & Paul Calme

We started off the year soliciting committee members.  I started by e-mailing the 2002-2003 Need Analysis Committee members to see if they would have a continued interest in the 2003-04  group.  After that, I e-mailed potential members based on how they completed the Volunteer Form and contacted OASFAA members to whom I spoke at the Spring 2003 Conference.

 

                                That gave us a pool of about 19 possible candidates.  After sending out e-mails and calling potential                              members, we ended up with 11 members.  (Including the two committee co-chairs)

 

                                We were given the task, by the Conference Planning Committee, of holding four break-out sessions at the                     2003 Winter Conference.  The topics and sessions that we chose were:

 

                                History of Need Analysis & 2003-04 FAFSA updates

                                Hand Calculations I  (hand calculations for beginners)

                                Hand Calculations II (more detailed hand calculations)

                                Verification

 

Al Donley and Jason Florack, respectively, presented the history portion and FAFSA updates.  We also welcomed a guest speaker from the College Board for the scholarship portion of the History presentation.  All presenters did a wonderful job.  We had about 20 people for that first session with the evaluations being good.  My recommendation would be to continue this session.

 

                        In the second and third sessions, we presented case studies.  We had virtually a full house                                               for those.  In fact, we had to send someone to a local store to buy some calculators for the                                       2nd session.  Ellen Hall and Pam Eberwein presented each of the case studies.  Although we                                       found a few minor errors in our cases, everything went smoothly.  Those errors were                                                            pointed out and corrected for the winter drive-in workshops.

 

Finally, Carmen Sears-Edwards and Kim Nash-Yore did their verification training on Friday morning at 9:00.  We expected about 20 people for our session.  We ended up with about 65 people in attendance!  The only complaint was that we ran out of handouts.  Who would have thought that 65 people would show up Friday morning at 9:00 a.m. for verification training!

 

                                In our binders, we included in the tables the expected changes that the Feds were going to                                                make in the state taxes calculations.  We found out that those changes will not be made. That was noted                  in our drive-in workshops, as well as a few other changes in some of the tables.  We didn’t think it was                               worth the expense to order new tables on new card stock.  Especially since the members that received the                        binders at Winter Conference did not have the updated information.

 

                                In February, we held four regional Drive-In Workshops in which we repeated the sessions                                                 that were held at conference in an all-day format.

 

                                Here are the number of attendees by site:

 

                                Baldwin Wallace College (February 12):  23

                                Wright State University (February 12):  8

                                University of Findlay (February 19):  19

                        Franklin University (February 19):  17

 

Overall the evaluations were good.  Most people found the hand calculations particularly useful.   A lot of new folks were in the audience according to my informal surveys and I think these people new to the profession were most helped by the hand calculations.  Also, some of the veterans found the training useful also as a refresher type of class.

 

                                Finally, the committee ordered about 300 binders for all of the training sessions.  We ended up with about                     5-6 dozen binders remaining.  We had anticipated a larger turn-out at the Drive-In Workshops.  Next                      year’s committee may want to take a closer look how many to order.  I left about 3 dozen binders at Great                             Lakes for archive purposes.  Paul, to my knowledge, still has a 2-3 dozen binders also.

 

Overall, I am pleased with the way the year turned out.  However, I was a little disappointed with the numbers at the Regional Drive-In Workshops.   That’s something I hope next year’s committee can improve upon.  Most members I spoke to informally say they plan on coming back for next year.

 

 

3.)      NASFAA Training

There will be no NASFAA training this Spring.  There are extra NASFAA packets that we used at the Winter Conference NASFAA Training.  Claudia has them available to anyone who wants one.

 

4.)      Outreach Committee                                                            Lawrence Matthews & Melony O’halek

 

a.)      Stakeholder Relations & Training

1.        Articulation

2.        School Counselor

3.        Access Groups

4.        Others

 

Discussion:  Mark indicated that the Outreach Committee recommends exploring the addition of new counselor training sites for areas that are underserved.  Mary Kay and Steve indicated that sites can be added as a sponsored event as one way of funding such a concept.  

 

5.)      Early Awareness Committee                                              Alex Murdoch & Tasha McDaniel

No Report

 

6.)      College Goal Sunday Committee                       Katie Bontrager, Marnie Roberts, Lee Harrell, Tally Hart

 

Wendell passed around a summary document that he plans to share with the membership next week via the list serv.

 

Discussion: Michele started numerous comments by suggesting that a statement be added to give the membership a sense of the new direction we want CGS to go for next year.   Other suggestions are to list all executive committee members names on the paper.  The ultimate consensus was that the document needs to be redrafted incorporating more details about the CGS 2004 fiscal experience and sharing the weight of the various problems, experiences and lessons learned with the full executive council.  The letter will be redrafted, sent to executive committee members for comments by Monday and then finally released to the OASFAA membership via the list serv. 

 

B.)     VP for Conferences                                                                      Cheryl Willard

1.)      Corporate Development

                               

                                Summary of activities:

 

General Sponsorship:  $23150 committed / $23,150 paid

College Goal Sunday: * $9000   committed /* $9000 paid

*Does not include scholarship funds

 

Winter Conference Sponsorship: 

                                37 exhibitor/sponsors - $35,450 committed / $34775 paid

 

                                Spring Conference Sponsorship

                                (eff. 4/15) 32 exhibitors/sponsors - $39000 committed / $8050 paid

 

Increased spring sponsorship opportunities were offered for existing areas and a new opportunity to sponsor select interest sessions. The limit to 35 exhibitors will be real as we have 3 spaces left AND 4-6 folks who will likely want a spot.

 

                                Activities planned but not yet completed:

 

Spring conference sponsorship is underway and ongoing.  Space is limited to 35 exhibitors. 

 

Discussion:  OCAN would like to have a table at Conference if room permits.  Wendell mentioned that OCAN has a web site that they want to showcase.  He further suggested that if it would not be possible for them to have a conference vendor table that the OCAN web site be added to Regional Training agendas.  Cheryl indicated that, from her perspective, it would be best to have this at Fall 2004 regional training events with follow up at the Winter 2004Conference. 

 

Steve indicated that some events for meals at Spring Conference will be co-sponsored.  To clarify some confusion, this will be the first time this has occurred and there could be an issue related to how co-sponsorship will work.  There is one more slot left for sponsorship.

 

 

 

2.)      Professional Development & Leadership Committee                                     Michael Jones

       

        Professional Development

 

                The Professional Development Committee has obtained a keynote speaker for Wednesday afternoon.  Dr.     James Kemper from Ohio University will be doing a presentation on good hiring practices entitled              “Effective Recruiting, Selection and Retention in an Unpredictable Market”.  This should be a very interesting general session.  Terry Everson’s (from Great Lakes), interest sessions are also all set.  On                Wednesday Afternoon and Thursday Morning, Terry will be doing Part I and Part II of his presentations             entitled “Training/Coaching/Mentoring: Unleashing the Power of Your Team”.  This training opportunity           also sounds very exciting and should be a huge success.  

 

        Leadership Committee                                                                                       Norm Bedford

                               

                                Year end report:

 

                                The second leadership class appeared to receive favorable reviews and should be considered a successful                            program.  The agenda taught at conference captured the spirit and intent of the program’s objectives                                      based upon membership surveys.  This track should still be reserved for those members who emulate the                                             leadership characteristics desired by OASFAA. 

 

                                I believe it will be a good decision to conduct future leadership classes on bi-annual type basis.  It would                              be a detriment to the success of this program to tarnish its uniqueness.  Providing a leadership class every                                            year may reduce the membership’s view of how special this program truly is.  A bi-annual event will also                                                help with having enough members to fill seats.  There may be future diminishing returns in terms of class                                        size and prestige if the event is held annually.  

 

                                Speaking of uniqueness, the individuals within the leadership class are in general, action oriented.  More                               effective programming could be developed to create a balance of hands on activities and class room                                       experience.  The program content should continue to expand in ways not previously thought.

 

                                The leadership class program does not necessarily have to be held in conjunction with an OASFAA                                       conference.  Although leadership class participants are allowed to attend two conference sessions while in                                           the leadership program, valuable sessions are missed because of their leadership track commitment. 

 

                                It is possible to conduct a leadership class over the summer for 1.5 to 2 days.  An appropriate location                                    would be needed to facilitate team building type exercises.  The schedule would be relaxed, yet                                                         challenging.  Conducting a leadership class at conference creates the following environmental problems:                                       confining and limited.  Leadership has nothing to do with these two concepts.  It is intellectually painful                                                to interrupt a stimulating conversation because we are running late for break or lunch.  A non-conference                                           type atmosphere with fewer boundaries may be more appropriate. It is still possible to simultaneously                                      conduct the leadership class track with an OASFAA conference to promote ideas within a classroom type                                              setting.  Perhaps the leadership class could conclude with winter conference and not even have a                                                            leadership class for spring assuming there is a summer activity.

 

                                If the summer idea is extrapolated, the leadership class budget would have to be increased.  There would                               be additional programming costs.  I would estimate overall program costs would increase from $5,000 to                                         approximately $7,500.  The cost increase would come from facility rental and speaker/program fees.

 

                                Spring conference is coming along.  The agenda is set.  I am using some of the speakers that I had for the                              last conference to build upon what has been established.  I am not using Steven Stovall or Dr. Mary Rose                                             Zink at this session.  Although they both had overall favorable reviews, several of the leadership                                                             members thought that Mary Rose came across strong.  Cheryl Willard was able to attain a $1,000 sponsor                                      for a speaker that I am bringing in on Friday of spring conference.  Her efforts have helped solidify my                                    spring program.  I am most grateful for her guidance and patience.

 

3.)      Conference

Conference registration and the corporate sponsorship information/application are available on line as of April 2nd.

 

                        OASFAA Spring 2004 Conference

                                May 18 through 21, 2004

                                Dayton Crowne Plaza Hotel

                                Conference Registration Fee:   $125 full conference    -    $70 one day

                                Hotel room rate per night $79.00 plus tax – includes free high speed Internet access and parking.

                                Parking garage fee $5.00 per day for non hotel registrants

 

                        Golf Outing

                                May 17, 2004

                                Kitty Hawk Golf Course

                                Lee Harrell has updated the website and added video for the Golf Outing.

 

                                Future

 

                                Beginning to review contract proposals for Spring Conference, 2006 (Sawmill Creek) and Spring                                                Conference, 2007 (Cincinnati Hilton).

 

Discussion:  Wendell asked about the April 26 deadline for hotel registration.  Faith pointed out that the conference registration deadline, which is May 5, is prior to the Support Professional of the Year notification timeline of May 7.  The Support Professional Committee will work with Registration to make sure that there will not be a late fee charged to those individuals affected by this notification.  

 

a.)      Site                                                                                                 Cindy Delbridge

 

b.)     Program                                                                                         Randy Ulses

 

c.)      Entertainment                                                                               Michiale Schneider & Gail Houtz

               

d.)     Registration                                                                                  Beth Casper                         

199 Registrants for 3-day conference as of 4/21/04

 

Discussion:  Cheryl has indicated that the Associate Members will receive the gifts one-on-one.  As members register at the conference, they will given a name of an associate member to whom they can give gifts as they see them at conference.  Mark indicated that Jeff Olsen from Minnesota could be a potential information contact for a Book Drive on behalf of the Associate Members as an event at Spring Conference.          

                                               

C.)     President-Elect                                                             Mark Bandré

 

1.)      Nominations Committee

 

2004-2005 Election results

 

Southeast – Phil Bovenizer, Otterbein College

Southwest – Jeff Daniels, University of Dayton

Northwest –Todd Matthews, Davis College

Northeast – Carmen Sears-Edwards, Cuyahoga Community College

        Secretary – Amy Baker, Stark State College

Treasurer - Elect – Betsy Johnson, Owens Community College

        President-Elect – Mary Lynn Perri, Ursuline College

        VP Training – Randy Ulses, University of Cincinnati

 

        2004-2005 Committee Chairs/Co-chairs to date

College Goal Sunday – Claudia Wenzel, John Carroll University & Greg Guzman, Lourdes College

Need Analysis – Scott Lehman, University of Toledo & Kim Nash-Yore, Cuyahoga Community College

Outreach – Melony O’halek, Bank One  & Sandy Gilbert, Wright State UniversityLake Campus

Support Professional – Kathy John, Antioch University-McGregor & Ann Marie Gruber, Hiram College

Corporate Development – Steve England, AES & Michael Jones, University of Northwestern of Ohio

Communications – Michiale Schneider, Chase & Susan Kannenwischer, Denison University

Regulatory Issues – Matt Short, Univ of Toledo & Stephanie Sutton, Lorain County Comm. College

State Issues – Lisa Mitchell, Student Loan Funding Resources

        Federal/Reauthorization – Currently Unassigned

Registration Chair – Beth Casper, Bowling Green State University

        Membership Support Chair – Kacy Duling, Ohio Northern University

        New Member/ Mentor Chair - Diane Burnham, Ohio Technical College

        Entertainment – Michiale Schneider, Chase

        Site – Gail Houtz, Bowling Green State University & Mickie Waterman, Franklin University

        Program – Currently Unassigned

        AG&P – Mary Kay Freshour, Methodist Theological Seminary of Ohio & Michele Wade, OSU

        Associate Member Chair – will not have a committee for the year

        Professional Development – Angela Johnson, Cuyahoga Community College

College Goal Sunday Corporate Development – Deb Divers, BGSU-Firelands & Suzanne Fahrer – BGSU

        Leadership Chair -  No Leadership Class 2004-2005

        Early Awareness – may not have a committee next year

        GHLEC – John Brown and Dave Bowman

 

As an aside to Early Awareness, Wendell mentioned that on May 14, the Student Access and Coordinating Council will meet to discuss the direction of the statewide early awareness initiative.   MK indicated that if the state will not be doing anything in a new timeline then we need to make sure that we are not missing some kids in the interim. 

 

2.)      Finance Committee

Will ask the Past-President to chair the first Finance Committee meeting for the coming year in order to assist in the preparation of the budget.  This will help insure continuity of history in the budget setting process.

 

Discussion: John and Betsy recommended that language in the Policies and Procedures Manual be changed to indicate, under 6.7 Signing Contracts, that purchases, commitments, contracts, etc., which are greater than $1,000 be subject to President Elect approval prior to expenditure commitment.  Further, they recommended that potential OASFAA contracts which of a value greater than $5,000 require approval of Trustees before the President Elect is authorized to sign the contract.

 

Claudia suggests a formal proposal sheet be created to have as a budget expense form.

 

Mark indicated that the first 2004-2005 executive committee meeting will occur July 8 via conference call.  He asked that AG&P draft suggested language as a starting point which could be discussed and possibly acted upon at this meeting

 

Faith indicated that the lessons learned and the next steps included in these proposals will be good things to use in informing the membership about the CGS 2004 experience.  Michele Wade indicated that there may be a way to inhibit repeat behavior by including a removal from the executive committee type of policy in the P&P.  AG&P will also work on this language.

 

3.)      Research/Evaluations

 

There is May 6 meeting with IUC (Inter-University Council) which is a discussion committee for the four year state schools.  Mark and Wendell will attend this meeting to discuss how OASFAA will move forward on the Ohio Ethics Issues and how the state schools feel about OASFAA results and membership options given declining membership numbers from this sector over a 15 year period.  Mark will also initiate discussion at this meeting about the issue of institutional membership.

 

Discussion:

There is also a June 25 two-year state school meeting at which it may be pertinent to discuss these same issues.  Faith will work with Mark on possible attendance at this meeting.  John indicated that in the discussion with the IUC, it is important to discern their perceptions of why it is important or, if such is the case, unimportant, to become a member of OASFAA.  Norm suggested the regional meetings could be a ‘bring a colleague’ to the meeting type of session as a way to encourage exploration and perhaps ultimately, OASFAA membership.  Mary Kay indicated that, if we decide to require OASFAA membership for attendance at regional meetings and other training events while also offering guest attendance options,  it would a hard to go back to attending non-members and state that their future attendance is now contingent on becoming an OASFAA member.  Mark mentioned that the we need to set as a principle the ultimate benefits of becoming an OASFAA member and that this membership value is lessened if repeat event attendance can occur without officially joining the organization.

 

4)       MASFAA Report/Update

                               

                                Office/Committee/State:   Ohio

 

                                Individual Reporting:  Mark Bandré – OASFAA President-Elect

 

                                Summary of activities:

·         OASFAA’s second College Goal Sunday was successfully completed on February 8.  412 volunteers, including high school counselors and college access officials as well as aid officers, served 2421 individuals representing 1175 students at our 36 statewide sites.

·         Elections, run via our www.oasfaa.org web site, for eight available 2004-2005 OASFAA positions conclude on April 7.  As of this typing, results are not yet known but there is no way the organization can lose with sixteen very talented candidates being willing to run for office.

·         Efforts continue to fill all available committee chair and co-chair positions for 2004-2005.  OASFAA now fully embraces the concept of having one person named the chair of each committee with a second person, named the co-chair, accepting that position with the full knowledge that the role of chair will be their responsibility in the year to come.

·         A one-day transition meeting has been scheduled for May 12 at which the outgoing 2003-2004 executive committee will meet with the incoming 2004-2005 executive committee for team building, role sharing and a time of general planning.  For several years, this has been an overnight opportunity with two days of meetings scheduled.  In consideration of the budget and out-of-the-office time, the one-day approach will be tried this year.

·         The Need Analysis Committee hosted four regional training workshops in February.  This yearly OASFAA effort centers on the performance of EFC hand-calculations and is always well-attended by new and seasoned aid professionals as well as college admission officers.  The committee is also charged with offering their workshops as a track during the December conference.

·         Registration is now open for the spring OASFAA conference to be held May 19-21 at the Dayton Crowne Plaza Hotel.  The theme, “We Can Make It Happen”, is quite indicative of the wonderful efforts being put forth by the conference planning committee led by VP for Conferences, Cheryl Willard.  The second OASFAA Leadership Class, under the direction of Norm Bedford, will continue its progress during the conference as will a very well received session track, led by Michael Jones, devoted to our seasoned aid professionals.  Relationship building with representatives of clock-hour schools will also be part of the agenda.

·         Well attended and received meetings continue to be led by OASFAA’s four Regional Representatives.  Five such meetings are scheduled by each representative over the course of the year.

·         OASFAA was most pleased to have Mickie Waterman participate in the MASFAA state exchange by attending the recent Missouri conference.  While a written report has not yet been submitted, her verbal summary and a kind note from David Rice indicate that all went quite well.

·         Faith Phillips, who currently serves as OASFAA Treasurer-Elect, and Mark Bandré participated in the annual NASFAA Leadership Conference including visits to Capitol Hill.

 

                                Activities planned, not yet completed:

·         Due to significant budget over-runs during the College Goal Sunday process, the policies and procedures manual may be revised to require the approval of the President and President-Elect before any individual expenditure of greater than $1000 may occur.

·         A potential OASFAA College Goal Sunday relationship with the Cleveland Browns Foundation is being explored.  If it works out, this would be of tremendous help to our marketing efforts.

·         Due to continued concerns about declining membership from state schools, the concept of offering both individual and institutional OASFAA memberships is being explored.  This involves an active research committee, May 6 attendance at a meeting of the state school aid directors and budget/membership fee analysis.

·         The 2004-2005 executive committee calendar is being created with OASFAA letterhead and forms to be revised as necessary.

·         Nominations are presently being taken via the Support Professionals Committee for the annual support staff member of the year award.

·         We are in the beginning stages of compiling an OASFAA evaluation/action plan for working with the results of the new Ohio Ethics Commission, especially as it relates to state schools and their OASFAA involvement.

 

                                Recommended discussion items for the Council:

·         OASFAA has been fortunate to have members participate, via the state exchange, at a spring Minnesota conference and a spring Missouri conference while being pleased to host guests from West Virginia and Wisconsin at two of our conferences.  The difference in travel costs for these various outings is significant.  We recommend that the MASFAA state exchange budget administrator be allowed some latitude in how the budgeted dollars are utilized.  Given that MASFAA spent less that $300 to get a rep to Ohio, the portion of the $500 allocated for that trip that was “saved” should be available for use to get people to less traveler friendly locations.

 

 

 

 

 

MICKIE WATERMAN’S REPORT FROM MASFAA STATE EXCHANGE

 

MASFAA State Exchange Program – Missouri Spring Conference

Mickie Waterman, Chair Site Committee OASFAA

 

I learned a lot from the Missouri Conference and am glad I had the opportunity to attend. Missouri has two conferences a year, one in the fall and one in the spring. All conferences are held at the same lodge in Lake Ozark, thus they are able to get pretty good deals and service. Members of MASFAP are all extremely close. They have a smaller membership than OASFAA, about 250 people attended. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. I learned a lot and had a great time.

 

The conference began with an Executive Board Meeting, which was held before the rest of the conference attendees arrived. This was a very effective meeting, as all members were there since they were all attending the conference. Lunch was served to the executive committee.

 

Throughout the conference, I took notes on anything MASFAP did that OASFAA might benefit from.

 

  1. MASFAP recognizes people from around the state for special or extraordinary things they do or have done. Stories were collected before the conference and awards presented at conference.

 

  1. Rather than giving sponsors/vendors all an inexpensive small gift, they are all called up to the front of the room during one of the meals and recognized. Then a drawing is held to give away one $200 gift. Another idea is to donate the $200 to a charity or scholarship in the sponsor’s name.

 

  1. An idea tossed around was possibly having different levels of sponsorship, each having different levels of recognition. Recognition could be at conference or even on the OASFAA web site. The MASFAA web site is a good example.

 

  1. New members are given blue name badges and members that have attended conferences previously are giving grey name badges. Each person on the Executive Committee “looks out for” 2-3 newcomers at conference. Each newcomer has two “mentors” and each mentor contacts them twice, so newcomers receive four total contacts throughout the conference.

 

  1. MASFAP is talking about the possibility of standardized billing to a primary contact at each university. This would be done electronically.

 

  1. It is good to have different levels of training at conferences – newcomers, mid-level, and seasoned professionals – and sessions should be labeled for each.

 

  1. One of the sessions was for Peer Groups. The different groups that met were: Associate Members, Career & Technical, Community College, Graduate/Theological, Private, Proprietary, and Public. This was a chance to exchange whatever information people wanted.

 

  1. One of the sessions was for systems, including CARS, Datatel, People Soft, and Powerfaids. This was a chance to exchange whatever information people wanted about the systems they use.

 

  1. One of the activities during conference was a silent auction. This was held after one of the dinners. Anybody who wanted donated items for the auction. Tables were set up and attendees had 45 minutes to walk around to the different items and bid on them by signing a sheet of paper. Most things started at $1.00-$5.00. This was an extremely popular event and a lot of money was raised. Money can be donated to either charity or scholarships.

 

  1. When vendors want to give away a registration comp., a certificate is given to the vendor to give to the recipient. This is then submitted as payment instead of a check.

 

  1. Each night after dinner and entertainment, the MASFAP Lounge opens for two hours. This is a non-alcoholic room where people can play games, do crafts, watch movies, or do whatever. Generally they are sponsored by vendors.

 

  1. In a main area of the conference, there is a large bulletin board where MASFAP has a Forms Fair. Different schools can post anything other schools might find useful, including verification materials, special circumstance materials, financial aid newsletters, etc. Each are numbered. People can request a copy of the form and pick them up at the general session on the last day, or you can have them mailed to the people that want them.

 

We had an absolutely wonderful speaker that I highly recommend. His name is Bruce Christopher and he spoke twice at conference. His sessions were “Why Are Women so Strange…and Men so Weird” and “The Power of Attitude Mechanics…The Secrets Only Optimists Know.” Bruce Christopher is a psychologist and humorist and is one of the “most sought after speakers in the Fortune 500 and in many other prestigious organizations. His unique style of EnterTrainment blends practical applications within a laughing environment.”

Web Site: www.bcseminars.com

Phone: 888-887-8477

 

Entertainment: Hypnotist Tom Deluca was absolutely amazing. I do not have contact information but can get it if interested.

 

General Session Speaker: Jeff Baker, Director of Policy Development FSA, from Washington DC was very informative, had a lot of regulation information and updates for us. He was also willing to answer many questions. I do not have contact information but can get it if interested.

 

Transition meeting May 12

-          Less meetings next year.

-          Meetings will be at conference as business, best use of time

 

D.)    Past President                                                               Mary Kay Freshour

1.)      Association Governance and Planning Committee

Michelle and John met to determine the core functions that will fit into the Long Range Fiscal Plan.  AG&P will meet with the Finance Committee in order to further discuss this issue and make recommendations for a revised plan.  A review of the Policies and Procedures Manual will take place at the Transition Meeting for the incoming and outgoing executive members. 

 

2.)      Membership/Recruiting and Communications

a.)      Associate Members Committee

b.)     Membership Support

                                                  Paid membership as of 04/08/2004 for the 2003-2004 year is 659.

               

666 paid memberships as of 4/21/04

 

New member reception will be held on Thursday at the President’s Reception.

 

 

3.)      Regulatory Committee

No Report

 

a.)      State Issues

 

Update:

Betsy shared information from the OBR Financial Consultation Group.  She will attend meetings

in May and June for discussion on OIG being EFC based rather than the current model and PTIG as percentage of OIG.  Charles Shahid indicated that they are looking at students who applied after October 1 to see if they are eligible for an OIG award.

 

Learn and Earn scholarship based on points earned as early as kindergarten.

 

b.)     Federal Issues

 

Update:

Steve shared that NASFAA wrote letter to department based on Federal Handbook has been late in distribution to schools.

 

c.)      Reauthorization Issues

 

d.)     Additional – Mary Kay asked that archival information including committee meeting minutes be forwarded to her.

 

Inventory – A elderly printer that was OASFAA’s is at Otterbein and will be left there as compensation for incurred counselor workshop copying expenses.  Amy sent a check as initial payment for the copying but it has been destroyed in light of the printer agreement                           

               

 

 

VI. Liaison Reports

 

A.)    OBR                                                                                Tom Rudd/ Charles Shahid

 

B.)     Great Lakes                                                                   Dave Bowman

mygreatlakes.com will soon be a data providing web site

C.)     OCAN                                                                            Shane Hollett

 

VII. Old Business – AG & P – research on Fiscal Policy.

                                     Update Clock Hour Schools – spring conference

                                      OBR Portal

                                      Status of IRS

                                      Status of CGS Budget

                                      Student success stories needed

                                      An aide to Senator DeWine was on Ohio Northern campus to ask that information be shared for                                       Reauthorization process

                                       Student Access & Success Coordinating Council – meeting may 14 

                                      Ohio Ethics – IUC

                                       IRS Check

 

VIII. New Business – Marc Brenner’s Award

                                               

Distinguished Service Award for OASFAA

                                               

Asked that he be added to the James White award list based on the OASFAA award that he received.  Marc received the Distinguished Service Award for participation in MASFAA, NASFAA and the U.S. Department of Education.  Wendell recommends that the award be added to the web site and listing of the recipients for the program for the Spring Conference instead of adding him to the James White list.  All agreed and Cheryl recommended that Randy be give the info to add to the program.

 

Next Meeting –    July 8, 2004 – first 2004-2005 Executive Meeting

                                May 12, 2004 – Transition Meeting

                               

Adjourn

 

2:15pm

Wendell called for a motion to adjourn.  Cheryl moved to adjourn and Faith seconded.