Tips for Effective Communication with your Representatives
As a financial aid administrator or partner, you have the ability to effect change on behalf of
your students and institutions; however, the manner in which you do this may indeed impact the
outcome. Practical tips are shared in an effort to increase your effectiveness in the political
process. Your efforts can and do make a difference!
- State in Clear Language the Reason for Your Contact
- Get to Know the Staffers
- Be Tactful
- Be Brief as Brevity is Best
- Use Statistics to Illustrate Major Points
- Use Anecdotal Evidence to Illustrate Your Point
- Acknowledge the Efforts of the Elected Official
- Retain Copies of Correspondence and Share Information with OASFAA, MASFAA, and NASFAA
MASFAA and NASFAA provide more specific information on how to communicate
with Congress. For more information, please go to
Identify Your State of Ohio Senator and House Member
- Identify your Ohio House of Representatives
By Zip code
- To obtain the representative's contact information, click on their name, as this will bring
you to their Member Details page. Their contact information is located on the left-hand side
of the page.
- Ohio Senate
- There is a “Find Your Senator” search on the main page in the lower left-hand corner.
- To obtain the senator’s contact information, click on their name or photo, as this
will bring you to their Member Details page. Their contact information is located on
the bottom right-hand side of the page.
Identify your Federal Senator and House Member